It's simple physics, A good sounding guitar has a super tight super
stable neck joint, When the
neck joint is even slightly loose the tone of the guitar will suffer,
the tuning will suffer and the general feel of the
guitar will not be solid so even the playability will suffer. I know I
have repeated this theme throughout my whole website! I know I must sound like a
broken record to many of my faithful readers who have read everything on the
Ed Roman Pearlcaster Guitar
This is the Original One !!!!
Coupling means full contact with the wood,
Most guitar companies don't even address this
You Really Can Hear The Difference !!!
Standard on Ed Roman LSR, Quicksilver or Pearlcaster
Direct Coupling will add tremendous sustain to your guitar, It will also give you up to 25% more audible overtones. You can really hear the difference! See Neck Mounting Myths. The pictures above show a small part of the process. Ed Roman is always trying to come up with new & better ideas to stay several steps ahead of the corporate cookie cutter guitar companies.
I have done at least 20 Blindfold tests and even non guitarists can hear the difference.
Direct Coupling defined would be the process by which direct contact is made between all the parts on a guitar that could either add or subtract from the tonality and/or sustain.
It has been said, that if a guitar is directly coupled, it will most likely be neck through body construction, a solid mounted Tone/Pros Bridge & solid mounted pickups.
I will state for the record. You can also achieve direct coupling with a bolt in style neck like a PRS or Quicksilver. To do so you must adhere to several strict rules.
1. No paint, finish lacquer or glue can be present anywhere in the neck-pocket.
2. The neck pocket has to be extremely tight and 100% stable. (Not an easy thing to do)
Another way to achieve Direct Coupling would be to use a deep set mortise & tenon like a Centurion
The rules to apply here are as follows;
1. The pickups need to be hard mounted to the actual neck wood.
2. There must be no glue on the top of the deep set neck, and it must be a tight fit, there has to be a way for the bottom of the top plate to come into direct contact with the deep set neck.
3. The tenon must extend at least to where the bridge is located. There must be direct contact with the studs in the bridge through the top and into the deep set neck itself.
"Ultratone DCK-1" Direct Couple Kit $25.00
Roman Vintage Custom Guitars
We don't normally use this joint on an RVC
Most customers opt for the traditional style neck joint on this body shape.
This one was custom built for a customer who insisted on a deep cutaway.
All Access Acoustic Neckjoint
Exclusively From Ed Roman 2008
This will probably be copied by other manufacturers
Some Examples Below
Quilted Pearlcaster Droptop
All Access Neck Joint
Walnut Pearlcaster With All Access Neckjoint
Maple Scepter With All Access Neckjoint
5 String Scepter for Alex Gregory